Thursday, June 9, 2011

Rockmont 2011

I think every year I forget how much I love it here. I get worried I will miss home too much, and I get sad I have to leave so soon. Then the time comes around that I have to leave, I force myself to pack, load up my car, fill up the tank and start my drive.

Now I am here, I have been for a week now. And I love it so much.

I have seen old friends and made some new ones. It has been great to get the waterfront ready and feel like I finally know what I am doing. I still don't like learning the search and rescue and I don't like swimming when it is cold. But if those are the only things I don't like to do the whole summer, then I am one lucky girl. I seriously have the best job in the world. I live in a place where I hang my hammock and chill during my breaks. I get to constantly live in a beautiful place and enjoy God's creation. I get to swim/I am forced to swim. I get invited to join into a community of music, dancing, laughter, prayer, praise and studying the word.

This year the camp has picked the Gospel of John as the gospel of the summer. Which is so so cool because I took John this semester at school. So most of the bible lessons are from that book! We also were given the gospel just as a separate book, which was super cool, and we meet before breakfast whoever wants to and we discuss a section that we were assigned as we read through it as a group.

The new waterfront staff is super great, there are five of us living in our little house, but we love it, we are in the center of camp and we have 5 hammocks on our porch up today :)

We have had a ton of rain this summer. We have had Thorguard go off almost everyday! (That is the system that we have that alerts us that there is lightening in the area). One evening when it went off we were playing ultimate frisbee, then we went up to the lodges to wait it out. A few guys had guitars out and were jamming, and then more guys came out, there ended up being about 4 guitarists, 1 banjo player, a guy with a magic box, and a guy with a harmonica. It WAS AWESOME! we jammed to wagon wheel, yea yea, don't stop believing and many other classics. We may or may not have had so many people on the porch that there was structural damage.

It has been a great time with staff, campers come in three days, so soon.

Welp that's all for now folks,
Corrie D.

2 comments:

  1. I would pay good mola for one of those precious campers to tie you to your hammock one day while sleeping. If this shall ever happen just remember how you were as a camper back in the day. May God Bless you with lots of energy to keep up with all the youngens! Proud of ya girl!!

    ReplyDelete