Saturday, March 24, 2012

7 weeks

a lot can happen in 7 weeks. I googled "what can happen in 7 weeks," the main results were about pregnancy, a baby's eyelids would be developing. However, I am not pregnant, so this google search really was not very helpful.

Seven weeks from today at this time (4:33), I will have graduated from college. I probably will be really tired, my room will be a wreck, makeup all on the floor by my mirror next to bobby pins, curling iron, hairspray, and jewelry I decided not to wear. I will probably be wearing my graduation dress, the one I have not gotten yet, my heels somewhere in my apartment because I decided I no longer wanted to torture myself. I will probably opt to watch netflix instead of pack up my apartment. This all sounds pretty depressing, I do not mean for it to, but graduating is bitter sweet. It is a huge celebration of my past four years of work. It also means that I am leaving a place that has become home.

I have been thinking about this a lot recently. I was thinking about all of the people I have lived with since I moved away from home. I have lived in houses, apartments, suites and dorm rooms. I lived on Walker B, Walker 2, at Ben Lippen house 2B, Apartment 138 and Lakeside (fakeside). This list includes my summers at Rockmont, because Rockmont is part of my "college experience." Rockmont is just as much home to me as CIU or Myrtle Beach is.
Mel, Shelby, Mary, Rachel, Ashley, Joy, Margie, Sellers, Lindsey, Jenny, Yoonie, Poppy, Sunny, Emily, Cassie, Casey, Hannah and Lauren. 18. 18 different women that I have had the pleasure to live with. All of them have been part of my growth over the past four years.

I have taken over 35 classes now. This is crazy to me. I will be a college graduate. People still think I am in high school, but I will be in graduate school next year. I'm beginning to feel old. Not in the sense that oh man my knee hurts, (but it really does), but I am starting to realize that I have experiences that can aid me in the future. I am realizing that I can offer encouragement and advice to others, from my experience. This does not mean I feel all grown up. No, I do not. I still forget to take my coffee mugs out of my car, and I forget to fold my clothes after washing them. I always lose my keys, my cell phone, my purse, my jacket etc. I do not know how to file my taxes or break into a safe (but really I need to learn how to do that). But I am getting older. 4 days before I graduate I will turn 22.

God has blessed me.

I do not know what this next phase will bring, but I am learning to trust God with it all. That has been the theme of my year. God has been teaching me to trust him. I still have so much to learn, but I trust him to be with me through it all. Philippians 1:6

2 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about this a great deal as well. It is exciting, saddening, and a little unnerving to think that in seven weeks we will be finished with this chapter of life! I'm so ready to be finished and excited to see what is next...but, it will be very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny that not only did I feel that way when I was in your shoes, not the heels, the figurative ones...I felt the same way and yet as I face the last few months as a resident of the US I feel the same way again. Thanks for the reminder and the perspective. Praying for your next steps to be blessed!

    ReplyDelete