Friday, April 19, 2013

Where I'm From...

Through my program (Master's of Education in School Counseling) I am required to take a group counseling course. In this class we have lecture/discussion for about an hour and then the class splits into two groups. We then have a group counseling session. We all lead at least once and then we are participants in the group for the rest of the time. It has been a really great process.

I remember when I was twelve I had a meltdown about growing up and turning thirteen. I was probably one of the few kids who absolutely did not want to grow up. The closer I got to 18 the more I did not want to leave home. Now many of you who know me know how much I love my family and love to talk about my siblings, probably annoying. But for awhile I don't think i thought about it much, but lately I have been thinking about it again. I get a heavy sadness in my chest when I think about growing up. I remember when all seven kids lived at home. I remember when I was sixteen and JM left for college and I went to go turn out the hall light, but waited to think if JM needed it on, then realized he was away and I cried. I miss these days. I know that God has this process laid out, and I know it is good. But I still get sad.

I was a really weird kid. Not too many people knew me then, because we moved around a lot. But there are some people who have known me forever. They know I am bossy, and love to sew, and was an awkward turtleneck wearing homeschool and then a super awkward turtleneck wearing public schooler. They know how much I was NOT cool in high school. They know I was that weird girl who tried a lot of things for short amounts of time. step team, winterguard, theatre, musical theatre, honors choir, swim team, dance etc.



Anyways back to group counseling. Yesterday the leader had us fill out a "Where I'm From..." poem. You can find a template for this online. Here is mine. disclaimer: if I felt like rewriting this I am sure I could make it better.  but I don't. I have also never claimed to be a good writer! So don't judge it too hard :)

Where I'm From...

I am from a large backyard.
From sewn bonnets and big bear.
I am from organized chaos and creative bedrooming.
From shared rooms and having my own.
I am from magnolia trees that are best for climbing
with multiple limbs for contorting little ones and big ones.

I am from the bike I bought and my first sewing machine.
From Doug and Joan and Grandma Ruby, Grandpa Marden, Mema and Papa;
from auctions with good deals and cooking from scratch.
And from finding thrown out pieces on the side of the road.

I am from a family that taught mea bout a relationship with God and not a legalistic religion;
from mashed "cream" potatoes and chicken bog.

I am from my grandfather working in Florida picking oranges during the great depression.
He used to say "you can always find a job, those who don't have one are looking for a position."
From educated parents who met at Bible school, decided to get married and grow a family.

I am from moving, homeschooling, playing outside, public school to arts academy to college to grad-school where we are scattered.


Okay so there it is.

:)
cd

No comments:

Post a Comment