Sunday, March 9, 2014

When life isn't particularly "fun," and a few of my favorite things

As most of my blogs are you can expect disjointed paragraphs, sentences and thoughts. Also, probably things you already know and maybe some you don't. Also expect spelling errors for I rarely if ever edit. Sorry to my friends and my professors.

Okay. So do NOT get me wrong. I had a super fun weekend! I got to make tacos and queso and watch tv with friends AND I got to see one of my super good friends from freshman year get MARRIED!!

However. Overall my experience in grad school has not been "fun." I am not one of those people who just loves school. I love some classes here and there, I love learning, I love working with kids. But research...reading journal articles...sitting in 3 hour long classes...not so much.

Lately it has been a struggle. I am caught between being ready to truly plug into my church and my friendships but my program is split between Clemson and Greenville and so is my life. I graduate in December, but there is a lot of work between now and december.

My friend Challie and I were talking about a week ago about not wishing time away. I catch myself constantly thinking... well in december... I just have to make it until december... Life will be different come december. In reality life may very much feel the same come December. I will have a Masters plus 30 which will be awesome. But I may be the same. There is a good chance life will still feel hard. so what do I do?

About a year ago I was in a group counseling class and one of my friends led the session. She talked about how we enjoy things through our senses and how when things are busy to make sure to do things we enjoy and do our best to use our senses to soak in good parts of the day.

A few of my favorite things

One of my things is food. I like veggies, fruit, meat and I LOVE carbs. I do my best to eat well and I want it to taste good. I try to cook food I like. Those in my classes probably get annoyed with my hot meal (I know they get annoyed b/c they say I am making them hungry). This is probably the biggest part of my "self-care." I got tired of cold food. So I have to plan it out, and it can be tricky, but I attempt to cook a lot of food on the weekend.

I am currently eating this and it is the best. 

Another thing I try to do is work out. It is so easy when life gets busy and exhausting to cut this. But I have found that it makes me feel so much better to go run and even though I show up to class in shorts and covered in sweat, well, at least I am a little happier to be there. 

WARM WEATHER. IT IS FINALLY COMING!!! I got to sit on my porch in shorts and a flannel today! My Favorite Weather! :) 

Watching boy meets world. I got the ENTIRE SERIES of boy meets world (BMY) for Christmas. It is the best. I usually watch it on the bus on my way home from Clemson. John Michael tells me that is an indie rom com intro in the making. 

This is where the nerd in me comes out. I went to the library this week and it literally was one of the highlights of my thursday. I refuse to check out books that have any actual connection to school and it  is so fun. I realize not everyone's favorite place is the library, but seriously in my opinion it is one of the best things.


And finally. Coffee out of a mug. For those of you who have to get up early and leave for the day you might understand. Now I love my travel mug. Hopefully I don't offend it here, for it truly is a wonderful companion on my weekdays. But. Man. There is just something about drinking a cup of coffee in the morning and just sitting. 



These are the things from my past week that were the best. :)

Oh also. These ladies. 

(I stole this photo from Mrs. Jack)
- cd

No comments:

Post a Comment